Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Maternal Instincts

Blake was sick a couple of weeks ago, I was sick part of last week and, well, up until now. We have had a very fortunate year in that there haven't been many illnesses in our home! Both Blake and I have had pretty severe colds... his in his throat, mine in my head where I literally thought my fillings were going to pop out of my teeth, but still not as bad as what could have been (on top of everything else :0).

Kailey, on the other hand, was sick twice last night, in the middle of the night. Poor girl. She was feeling better as the day went on though, so that's good. What I wanted to write about was the maternal instincts I think all women have, from a very early age. I have single women who are very close to me, who do not have children - but they somehow seem to have what it takes, when it matters, to comfort children. This was so evident last night with Ashlyn... although I didn't even know it until I woke up this morning (my maternal instincts lacking, but I'll get to that shortly). Last night Ashlyn woke up to Kailey coughing in her sleep. She was in such a fit that Ashlyn went to her bed (they share a room) to comfort her. As she was comforting her little sister, Kailey threw up on her. Ashlyn said that for a split second she was mad, then thought "She didn't do it on purpose, she is really sick" and nursed her until she could get CJ (who was still awake). I woke up, at some point, to hear the bath water running, and knowing that it would be a bad thing to go out and make CJ feel inadequate of dealing with whatever he was dealing with. So I listened for a while and fell back to sleep. CJ is the patient, or compassionate, one in our family, so the kids are much more comfortable with him in the middle of the night anyway.

I was just so touched at the thought process of our 9 year old little girl. Once again, she has made me proud to be a mom.

Kandis... Canyon had a bad dream last night too... prepare yourself for the comforts of home!

1 comment:

The Pyper Fam said...

I love your new blog! And love the stories about your cute kids! Come to Spokane soon, OK! :)